The 11th U.S. Symposium on Harmful Algae was held on October 23-28, 2022, in Albany, New York, at the Hilton Albany.
Local coordination was led by NEIWPCC, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, and U.S. Geological Survey with support from the U.S. National Office for Harmful Algal Blooms at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
Logo by Thayne Yazzie
The symposium theme was “Science to Support Solutions from Shore to Shore.” From freshwater to marine systems, the prevalence of harmful algal blooms (HABs) is a national environmental challenge, and solutions are needed. Celebrating this event in New York – the only state with Great Lake shorelines, marine coasts, and the diverse range of ecosystems between these extremes – created an ideal setting to discuss progress in understanding algal bloom ecology and the solutions necessary to prevent and reduce HABs.
Final Symposium Program & Agenda
The conference was open to all registrants. Attendees included national representatives and researchers from academia; state, federal, tribal, and municipal governments; the private sector; and watershed organizations.
Symposium Program & Special Sessions
We are excited to release our final agenda for the 11th U.S. Symposium on Harmful Algae!
We are proud to offer a special evening sessions, Impacts of HABs on Shellfish: Addressing Harvester and Industry Needs & NHABON: Partnering to Implement a National HAB Observing Network, as well as a pre-conference workshop, Mechanisms for Improved Detection of HABs Using Satellites, at our event this year in Albany.
Exhibitors & Sponsors
Meet the Symposium Organizers
Symposium Chairs & Local Organizing Committee
- Maryann Dugan, NEIWPCC
- Rebecca Gorney, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Jennifer Graham, U.S. Geological Survey
- David Berthold, University of Florida
- Greg Boyer, State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry
- Lisa Cleckner, Finger Lakes Institute; Hobart & William Smith Colleges
- Mary Anne Evans, U.S. Geological Survey
- Guy Foster, U.S. Geological Survey
- Chris Gobler, Stony Brook University
- Dianne Greenfield, City University of New York
- H. Dail Laughinghouse IV, University of Florida
- Keith Loftin, U.S. Geological Survey
- Mindy Richlen, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
- MaryKate Rogener, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Lauren Ross, University of Maine
- Jayme Smith, Southern California Coastal Water Research Project
- Marc Suddleson, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Alan Wilson, Auburn University
- Kiyoko Yokota, State University of New York Oneonta
For general questions about the 11th U.S. Symposium on Harmful Algae, please contact Maryann Dugan at 978-323-7929 or email@example.com.