Water Resource Protection | Regional Research Initiative
Enhance and further the NEIWPCC member states’ understanding of water resource issues.
- To better understand the fundamental processes—both natural and anthropogenic—that affect the water environment in the Northeast.
- To expand on basic research to advance knowledge that benefits water resources and public health in the Northeast.
Have a direct impact on and benefit to the protection, management, and preservation of NEIWPCC member states’ water resources and public health.
- Pursue applied research with potential policy applications for water resource and public health programs in the Northeast.
- Provide research results that directly assist the member states in making policy decisions.
Promote coordination and cooperation between NEIWPCC member states’ water resource and public health agencies and research organizations (government, non-profit, academic, etc.).
- Work together to leverage critical resources for high priority water research in the region.
- Enhance dissemination of research findings to promote scientific and technological understanding of water related issues in the Northeast.
Guiding principles for a successful and credible NEIWPCC research program:
- Strong state involvement/leadership
- Demonstrated and agreed-upon research needs/data gaps
- Proven capacity to manage research projects
- Reliable and responsible results